Monday, February 21, 2011

RAW 2011 Blog Carnival

The topic for the first RAW 2011 Blog carnival is: 


"What was your inspiration for participating in RAW?"

I joined RAD last year, because I was in a creative funk and needed some motivation. I wanted to change the direction of working and think more about process, less about product. I also needed to develop new skills and sharpen my old ones... I thought that the rigor of having to be so prolific would benefit me in many ways.



Some of my RAD rings from 2010



I had never done anything like that before, sharing work, comments, and interests with complete strangers. I found it very inspiring to see so many people from all over the Earth sharing a common passion (obsession) to create. Even though I could not keep up with RAD, and lasted only 5-6 weeks, I continued to follow the crowd, so to speak.

I was pleased to join RAW because it is more manageable with my busy schedule. I am also teaching myself some stone-setting techniques, which has opened up a whole new way of working. It is a good practice for me to keep a schedule to make new, one-of-a-kind work and to document it. I work better with a deadline and discipline. My flikr 'contacts' make some amazing work and it is great to trace their progress. Such variety and quality and LOVE for the materials!  The following mosaic shows my most recent flickr faves:


1. OJ ring, 2. r.a.w 4 {this won't hurt a bit ~ wedding ring}, 3. Anillo Folium, 4. Collar Metal Naïf, 5. RAW 1/52 - Chartres, 6. r-a-w 1{wee walnut box}, 7.RAW 1/52, 8. RAW52-1, 9. "Birth" RAD #365, 10. RAd 142 The Last Waltz, 11. it's loosely laying in there, 12. white04, 13. hemimorphite06, 14. R-A-D #361 12/27/2010 "Carnelian Cone Ring", 15. Worrying about Worry Beads Coming Undone© 1997 Harriete Estel Berman, 16. Recycle Bracelet Two Orange © 2010 Harriete Estel Berman


Looking forward to another year of creative discovery in 2011!!!




Please check out what other members of Ring A Week have to say about what inspires them to participate:

Marcie Abney - labellajoya.blogspot.com
Joanne Harrill - www.jojobell.com
Thomasin Durgin - www.metalriot.blogspot.com
Amy Nicole - www.rubymtnbeads.blogspot.com
Janice - www.doxallodesigns.blogspot.com
Aleksandra Micic - www.micicart.blogspot.com
Lana Chu - www.ginkgoglass.wordpress.com
Evelyn Markasky - www.markasky.blogspot.com
Kerry Alice-Twigs and Heather - www.twigsandheather.blogspot.com
Lorena Angulo- www.blog.lorenaangulo.com/
Maria Apostolou- www.createjewelry.gr/blog
Sarah Small - www.bysalla.blogspot.com
Rebecca Bogan - www.Adobesol.com/blog
Elaine Luther - www.CreativeTextureTools.com/news
Rebekah Timlin Meddles - www.lunasadesigns.blogspot.com
Laura M (Zoeowyn)- www.zoeowyn.blogspot.com/
Kimberly (bahamadawn) - www.bahamadawn.blogspot.com
Erin Austin - www.metalmusing.blogspot.com
Catherine Witherell - www.happydayart.typepad.com
Michele Grady- www.michelegradydesigns.blogspot.com
Joan Furilla - www.jfurilla.wordpress.com/
Kathryn Cole- www.kathryncolejewelry.blogspot.com 

7 comments:

  1. I love being able to see everyone's work every week. The documenting process is so easy to over look. Im noticing a theme in the blogs: "teach myself" "learn new skills" its really fun to watch and learn from other's work, especially when its as lovely as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate! Isn't it amazing when you think that someone is a stranger only to find out maybe even after a minute that you have got yourself a new friend... I am glad you joined RAW and happy to get to know you better! Love your RAD rings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't tried anything similar too before RAD. The whole experience is so exciting. I'm glad that you're back for RAW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Laura.I love being able to see everyone's work too. So much talent in this group! I look forward to seeing the rest of your RAW rings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rings are RAD!
    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really enjoying your RAW rings Kate and I love the things you have in your etsy shop too!

    I hope you get everything you are looking for from thins challenge and more.

    Catherine WItherell

    ReplyDelete